SAARC Member Countries assemble to discuss preparations for the First South Asian Annual Disaster Management Exercise (SAADMEx) to be held in November 2015
September 03, 2015
- The prevalent geo-climatic conditions as well as increased frequency of natural calamities in the SAARC Region, especially in the wake of the recent earthquake in Nepal in the month of April 2015, calls for enhanced levels of preparedness and risk resilience as well as collaborative action amongst member countries to individually and jointly deal with such disaster situations and ensure minimal loss of lives and assets.
- The dimension, frequency and complexity of natural disasters are increasing. No country is immune from this trend. In such a scenario – local, national, regional and international cooperation and coordination are more vital than ever before. Owing to unique geo-climatic-social conditions, South Asia is particulary vulnerable to natural disasters of varying magnitude and manifold dimensions.
- The Government of India has taken the lead to begin the process of Simulation Exercises on Disaster Management in the Region coined as “South Asian Annual Disaster Management Exercise (SAADMEx). India has requested the participation of all SAARC countries for augmenting current levels of individual and joint preparedness for rescue, relief and response efforts during disaster situations.
- This Exercise will be conducted in two phases. In first phase, an Advance Coordination Conference (ACC), coordinated by National Disaster Response Force, is being organised at Shaurya CRPF Officers Institute, Vasantkunj, New Delhi on 3-4 September 2015. Representatives from SAARC Countries will discuss the modalities and requirements of the SAADMEx, which will be held from 23rd to 26th November 2015 in the National Capital Region. It would consist of three components, viz. (i) a Table Top Exercise (TTx), (ii) a Field Training Exercise (FTx) and (iii) After Action Review (AAR). SAADMEx will be followed by one day “SAARC Workshop on Sharing Best Practices on Disaster Risk Reduction” scheduled on 27th November 2015 in New Delhi.
- The main focus of “SAADMEx –2015” will be to test inter-governmental coordination efforts, create synergy and synchronize efforts to institutionalize regional cooperation on disaster response among the member countries.
- Delegates from SAARC Countries, representatives from Embassies/High Commission of SAARC countries in Delhi, senior officials from MHA, NDMA,MEA, NDRF, NIDM and other relevant Ministries attended the Advance Coordination Conference.
September 03, 2015