By Milan Raj Tuladhar (13 December 2017) – We should make it amply clear to our neighbours and other friendly countries that if they want our attention and respect to their national interests, we also expect similar attitude from their side, particularly from their representatives.
- Follow the Constitution. Article 51 of the new Constitution clearly lays down underlying rules for a balanced Foreign Policy of the country. That is to conduct an independent foreign policy based on the Charter of the United Nations, non-alignment, principles of Panchsheel, international law and the norms of world peace, taking into consideration of the overall interest of the nation, while remaining active in safeguarding the sovereignty, territorial integrity, independence and national interest of Nepal. This will help end policy of submission and national disgrace by the previous government.
- Safeguard national integrity and be ready to take bold steps for the broader national interest. Stability of the country can be ensured only by taking it forward on the path of speedy development. Country needs massive investment not only from national capital but also with investments from abroad. It is high time for the country to go for massive projects on connectivity and industrial base including tourism industry which will in turn be able to generate much needed employment for the youth in a massive scale. So, international relations must be geared towards massive economic cooperation with willing and capable foreign countries.
- Take major steps to deepen economic relations with China, India others by giving all countries equal opportunities for investment. But at the same time, be aware of any strings attached with their investments. Make sure that similar opportunities are also kept open for other major players in economic cooperation with Nepal.
- Ensure that both of our neighbours respect our sovereignty and integrity in the same spirit as we respect theirs. Any disrespect towards our national honour must not be tolerated. We should make it amply clear to our neighbours and other friendly countries that if they want our attention and respect to their national interests, we also expect similar attitude from their side, particularly from their representatives.
- Stress on proactive diplomacy and give a sense of freshness to all international governments and their representatives. The left Government is a brand-new government which is going to be here for a full term of 5 years. Only it can give stability and sense of security to all. (For the cause of proactive diplomacy, special missions may be sent to some major capitals including 2 neighbours.) Since we are starting with a totally clean slate, we expect others also to shed any remnants of their impression of earlier governments of Nepal. The diplomatic mechanism of the new government must be able to drive home to the foreign governments that: Business is not going to be as usual from now on.