Myanmar opposition qualified to nominate two candidates for vice presidential run


YANGON, Nov. 13 (Xinhua) — Myanmar’s opposition party has won the qualified number of seats in the country’s two-house Union Parliament to nominate two candidates for vice presidential run for next term.

According to the official election result as of Thursday night, the National League for Democracy (NLD) has won such rights as it has secured over 50 percent of the total seats in the House of Representatives (Lower House) and the House of Nationalities (Upper House).

The remaining one candidate for the vice-presidential run is to be nominated by the military, according to the constitution.

The NLD has so far secured 709 seats at the three levels of the parliament, including 217 of the 330 seats in the House of Representatives, 110 of the 168 seats in the House of Nationalities, and 382 in the Region or State Parliament.

The ruling Union Solidarity and Development Party has won 95 seats, including 28 in the House of Representatives, 12 in the House of Nationalities and 55 in the Region or State Parliament.

The remaining parliamentary seats go to parties some ethnic groups and three independents.

To date, the Union Election Commission has announced 901 elected parliament representatives, including 274 to the Houses of Representatives, 133 to the House of Nationalities and 494 to the Region or State Parliament.

The elected parliament representatives represent 75 percent at each level of the three-level parliament and the remaining 25 percent are reserved for non-elected ones and those directly nominated by the military under the constitution.

About us
Nepalforeignaffairs.com is the first digital paper on foreign Affairs in Nepal. With an advancement of technology and digital journalism, we decided to come up with this paper in January 2015. Our aim is to disseminate information, news, articles to the people on different dimensions of foreign affairs.
  :   Editor-in-chief : Gopal Khanal
Contact us
  :   Suyog marg Anamnagar kathmandu Nepal
  :   +977-01-4241948
  :  [email protected]
Social Media