Myanmar’s opposition wins 77.3 pct parliamentary seats in election


YANGON, Nov. 16 (Xinhua) — Myanmar’s opposition party National League for Democracy (NLD), led by Aung San Suu Kyi, has won 880 parliamentary seats or 77.3 percent out of a total of 1,139 in the election, according to the Union Election Commission on Monday.

Of the 880 seats, 254 are in the House of Representatives (Lower House), 135 in the House of Nationalities (Upper House) and 474 in the Region or State Parliament, as well as 17 ethnic representatives to the Region or State Parliament.

As the NLD has secured 389 seats as absolute majority in the two Houses, the party is strong enough to gain rights to form the new government independently under the country’s constitution.

The ruling Union Solidarity and Development Party has taken 115 seats, accounting for 10 percent of the total, including 29 in the House of Representatives, 12 in the House of Nationalities, and 72 in the Region or State Parliament, as well as two ethnic representatives to the Region or State Parliament.

The remaining parliamentary seats mainly go to some ethnic parties and five independent runners.

The election commission has so far announced a total of 1,139 elected representatives. There are results for seven seats at the three levels of parliament and ethnic representatives in the Region or State Parliament to be announced before Friday.

The representatives elected represent 75 percent of those at each level of parliament and, under the constitution, the remaining 25 percent are not elected and instead reserved for those who will be nominated directly by the military.

As disclosed, the first session of the new parliament will take place in January 2016, following by the presidential run in the parliament in February and the formation of the new government in March.

The term of the current government will expire at the end of March 2016.

 

About us
Nepalforeignaffairs.com is the first digital paper on foreign Affairs in Nepal. With an advancement of technology and digital journalism, we decided to come up with this paper in January 2015. Our aim is to disseminate information, news, articles to the people on different dimensions of foreign affairs.
  :   Editor-in-chief : Gopal Khanal
Contact us
  :   Suyog marg Anamnagar kathmandu Nepal
  :   +977-01-4241948
  :  [email protected]
Social Media